|Emery Down Village Forum||
Admiral Frederick Moore Boultbee commissioned five almshouses to be built on land he had purchased from Joseph Payne in January 1871 for £120. The buildings are believed to have been designed by William Butterfield.
In 1876 the Admiral died and left the Almshouses to his niece, Charlotte Boultbee, as sole Trustee. Charlotte’s heirs, in 1909, made over the almshouses by deed of gift to the vicar and churchwardens of Christ Church, Emery Down, viz.:- The Reverend Walter Bree Hesketh Biggs, Mr. Reginald Hargreaves of Cuffnells and Mr. Ralph Ward-Jackson of Camp Hill. In November 1929 Mr. Ward-Jackson ‘recorded his vote against installing the electric light in the Alms Houses’ and subsequently resigned. In 1931 Mr. Aris of Northerwood agreed to become a trustee following the death of Mr. Hargreaves.
The trustees held an emergency meeting in June 1942 and unanimously decided that the Almshouses should be known as ‘Boultbee Cottages’ ‘to commemorate the name of Admiral Boultbee, the famous founder of the Trust and a great benefactor to the parish’.
October 1961: the Almshouses were managed by the ‘Emery Down Cottages Trust’ with the vicar and churchwardens being trustees ex officio.
In 2014 the Trust was constituted as a Charitable Incorporated Organisation known as ‘Emery Down Almshouses’. Further details available on the Charity Commission website.